Baked Tofu Veracruz
- 1 (14-ounce) package firm tofu
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons olive oil *if increasing the servings, leave this amount the same
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup halved olives
- 1 jalapeño peppers chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons capers rinsed and drained
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano
- sea salt for seasoning
- black pepper for seasoning
- Cut the tofu into 4 (or 8) slabs and pat dry. Lay them on a plate and cover with the lime juice and set aside.
- Heat the oil In a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the tomatoes, bell peppers, and onion. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, olives, jalapeño, lemon juice, capers, garlic, and oregano and stir well. Season the tofu lightly with salt and pepper and place it on top of the Veracruz sauce.
- Spoon a little sauce over the tofu, cover, and cook until the tofu is heated through, about 6 minutes.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!