One-Pan Tuscan Skillet Tempeh with Mushrooms, Sun- Dried Tomatoes and Garlic
- 2 extra large bricks of Tempeh (cut into 4 pieces each)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 White onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced about 3 cups
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 - 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes sliced
- 1 - 14 oz can of cannellini beans* *you could easily use any white bean you like*
- sea salt
- Fresh Pepper
- Preheat and oven to 350F.
- Wash and chop all of your vegetables, and drain and rinse the can of beans.
- Season tempeh with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan on medium-high heat, then add the tempeh and brown for 3 minutes on each side, then remove from pan and set aside. You’re going to add it back to the pan later.
- Add the remaining tablespoon olive oil to the pan, and add the diced onion and sliced mushroom and cook for 2-3 minutes until onions are just translucent. Add the minced garlic and sundried tomatoes, and cook another 1-2 minutes. (careful not to burn the garlic!)
- Add the dried herbs and heat up for about 30 seconds until fragrant, then add a small splash of water, maybe 1-2 tablespoons, to pick up any flavours off the bottom of the pan.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes to the mixture and stir to well combine and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Return your tempeh to the pan. Ensure that they are submerged into the tomato mixture, if they overlap that is not an issue.
- Add the beans to the pan, spreading them out evenly.
- If you have an ovenproof skillet, cover the skillet and transfer it to the oven for 15-20 minutes. If you do not have an ovenproof skillet, continue cooking on the stovetop on a low heat for 10-15 minutes or until the tempeh is heated through.
- Remove your pan from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
If you don’t have a pan that can be transferred from the stovetop to the oven, you can finish this recipe on the stovetop by keeping it on a very low heat for 10-15 or until the chicken is cooked through.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!