Persian-Style Chicken with Pomegranate Molasses
- 8 ounces pomegranate juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt plus 1/8 teaspoon
- 3/4 cup unsalted raw walnut pieces about 3 ounces
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts, or thighs, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons gluten free flour of choice
- black pepper for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil *if increasing the servings, leave this amount the same
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups Low-sodium chicken broth or veggie broth
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- In a small saucepan bring the pomegranate juice, honey, lemon juice, and a pinch salt to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced to one-third of a cup, about 40 minutes. Set aside. The molasses can be made in advance or purchased from specialty store.
- While the molasses is simmering, place a small skillet on medium heat and toast the walnuts until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Grind the walnuts in a food processor until they are small crumbs. Set aside.
- In a large plastic freezer bag, toss the chicken with the flour and pinch each salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven on medium heat and working in batches sauté the chicken until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes each side. Transfer it to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onions and sauté until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, turmeric, nutmeg, cinnamon, and remaining half a teaspoon of salt and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the broth, pomegranate molasses, and walnuts and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, add the tofu, and simmer for 15 minutes, until chicken is warmed through and flavours are blended.
- Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and parsley.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!