- 1 (8-ounce) block tempeh
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons low sodium GF Tamari
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Salt salt for seasoning
- black pepper for seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) jar organic tomato sauce
- Place the tempeh, water, and tamari in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and bring the liquid to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 4 minutes, turn the tempeh, and cook for another 4 minutes. Drain it and cool.
- Place the tempeh in a blender or food processor and blend the tempeh into a smooth paste. Transfer it to a medium bowl and add the tomato paste, vinegar, and cinnamon and season with salt and pepper. Knead the mixture well and shape it into balls.
- Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the tempeh balls and cook until heated through and lightly browned, about 6 minutes.
- Heat the tomato sauce in a large saucepan over medium heat until warm, add the tempeh balls, and serve.
double and freeze for backup meals!*
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!