Tofu Milanese with Green Apple Salad
- 1 (14-ounce) package extra-firm tofu pressed and cut into 8 equal slices
- 1/2 cup GF flour (or any of the starches)
- 1 large egg (Vegans: sub in flax egg or egg substitute)
- 1 cups nut meal (or GF breadcrumbs)
- Nonstick cooking oil spray
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cups arugula
- 1 large Granny Smith apple
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese *optional* *sub in Nutritional Yeast if you like!
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the flour in one large, shallow dish, beat the eggs in an another shallow dish, and add the breadcrumbs to a third shallow dish.
- Dredge the tofu in the flour, then eggs, and then the breadcrumbs until well coated. Repeat with the remaining tofu and place them on the baking sheet.
- Lightly spray the tofu with oil and bake, turning halfway through, until golden and crispy, about 10 minutes in total.
- Make the salad: In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, juice, shallots, mustard, and honey. Season the dressing with salt and pepper to taste. Add the arugula, apple, and Parmesan (if using) and toss to combine.
- Serve the tofu cutlets topped with the apple salad
*NOTE: you may want to marinate the tofu in advance for more depth of flavour
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!