Unstuffed Tempeh Cabbage Rolls
- 2 pounds cabbage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil **if increasing recipe servings, leave this amount the same
- 1 (8-ounce) block tempeh
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- sea salt for seasoning
- 1 3/4 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat and add the leaves to the water. Boil until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes, drain, and run under cold water. Chop the cabbage roughly.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and sauté the tempeh until it is warmed, about 6 minutes.
- Add the onions and garlic and and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, mint, pepper, and salt and stir to combine.
- Add the quinoa, parsley, lemon juice and chopped cabbage. Cook over medium-low heat for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a casserole dish with oil and transfer the cabbage mixture to the dish and bake for 30 to 45 minutes.
1 day before: Cook the quinoa in advance during weekly prep to speed dinner prep. In fact the whole thing can be made in advance and warmed up on the night.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!